Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Return of Fall Out Boy



Last week, I discussed the impact of the band Underoath, and why them breaking up is a big factor in the world of metal music. This week, a bomb got dropped on the pop punk scene. Pop punk juggernauts Fall Out Boy, after being on hiatus for 4 years, announced their return with a new album, and tour. Fans lost their minds on Twitter, industry experts were baffled, and even I was blindsided by the news. Fall Out Boy was back and ready to pick up where they left off!

So you guys are probably asking, “What is your opinion on Fall Out Boy? Are you happy they’re back?” Well...I’ll just say I have a bit of mixed feelings. On the positive, Fall Out Boy returning tells the rest of the pop punk scene, which has picked up in the last couple of years, to step up their game. On the other hand, I haven’t been that big of a fan of Fall Out Boy. I, like every other kid in the mid-200’s, picked up From Under The Cork Tree and loved it at the time. Unfortunately, it hasn’t had that strong of staying power with me over the years though. I’ll talk about that more in a bit.

I’ll look on the positives first. Fall Out Boy returning is a good thing for pop punk. In a genre that is mixed with good bands with actual heart and love of the genre (The Story So Far, Transit, The Summer Set) and bad bands who are only popular due to their hot guy looks and generic, relatable lyricism (Mayday Parade, All Time Low) it’s nice to have Fall Out Boy back. Having them back will do two things.

1. It will make the good and bad bands realize that they need to step up their game to compete with a juggernaut force like Fall Out Boy. This will give us better music that is more focused and meaningful since if they don’t, fans will jump ship fast.

2. The bad bands won’t be able to recover the lost of fans thanks to Fall Out Boy and either fade into existence or change themselves to be better to compete.

On those two grounds, I am extremely ecstatic that Fall Out Boy are back. It will only make the other bands in the scene better, which is a good thing for all fans of the genre.

Now, as I said before, I’m not the biggest fan of Fall Out Boy. Them coming back doesn’t particularly effect me personally. I wasn’t at the computer screaming or going, “HOLY SHIT” I was just more like, “Wow...ok cool I guess.” Like I said before, From Under The Cork Tree hasn’t held up for me over the last couple of years. I can still listen to “Sugar, We’re Goin’ Down” but that is about it. My favorite song from Fall Out Boy wasn’t even that song. It was “The Carpal Tunnel of Love” off of Infinity On High, and it was only because the music video was made in the world of Happy Tree Friends which made me laugh pretty damn hard. It’s not that Fall Out Boy is a bad band to me. They have factors that do make them different and unique in the genre like Stump’s vocals and their blending of genre ideas. It’s just after the years have passed, I can’t find myself relating to their lyricism anymore. I’m not that kid in middle and high school who struck out with the girls every time anymore. I’m now a college student with a steady 2 year relationship with the girl of my dreams. So Fall Out Boy’s lyrics of screw the girl or boy don’t exactly resonate with me at all. I understand that there is always going to be an audience for that, but that audience isn’t me anymore.

Fall Out Boy’s return is a mixed bag for me. On one angle, it is great for the pop punk genre that they are back, since it will make other bands try harder. On the other hand, I’m just not that big of a fan anymore, so personally I don’t care as much as others. That being said, I am always happy to see a big band reunite, because even if I am not a fan, it will effect me and a genre I enjoy in a good way.

Oh and by the way...here is that video I was talking about. If you don't like bloody humor...don't watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCV2h1uHx3o

No comments:

Post a Comment