Saturday, February 2, 2013

Stray From The Path - Make Your Own History 



This one is a reader recommendation! One of my readers messaged me asking me to please do an album by Long Island, NY hardcore band Stray From The Path. I did a little research as to what critics consider their best album, and my answer was Make Your Own History. The album is the band’s second on Sumerian Records, which gave me strong hope as Sumerian lets their artist really experiment with their potential. This showcases really quick on Make Your Own History as Stray From The Path prove pretty quick that this isn’t your normal hardcore band.

First off, major props to vocalist Drew York. I’m bringing him up first because he is the real reason Stray From The Path manage to sound different from many hardcore bands. His vocals are indescribable for hardcore standards. While some might be turned off by his different voice, I believe it is strong, well forced, and something that takes Stray From The Path’s music and elevates it to something unique.

The other positive to bring up on the album is the amazing production that went into the craft of the album. I don’t know how to describe it, but you get a feel of a live aesthetic from how the recording sounds. You hear each drum hit, you hear each guitar strum, and you hear each bass string flicked. It all sounds like you are in the crowd of a live show getting ready to mosh.

The negatives to bring up are minor but still there. The lyricism is pretty normal for the hardcore scene. The whole idea of songs about people sucking, while in some cases true, is a little bit overdone. Also, the album does become a bit wearing towards the end, but that is only a minor qualm to bring attention too.

The final verdict:  Make Your Own History is a great reader recommendation for the hardcore listener. It’s fast, it’s brutal, and it does a great job of capturing your attention with its fantastic production and musicianship. If you like your hardcore, give these guys a listen, because now they are on my watch list for good hardcore bands.

FINAL GRADE: B
CHOICE CUT: Fraudulent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ic8ilGjRmM

If YOU have a reader recommendation send them my way in a message or comment, and I will gladly take a look at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment