Tuesday, February 19, 2013

BONAROO 2013!
 


Well music lovers, I was like some of you today. I was anxiously waiting at my computer to find out who was on Bonaroo this year. The festival, which started in 2002, has become a music mecca of sorts for 3 days in June in Tennessee. After seeing the bill last year, I told myself at some point I would trek down to Tennessee for this epic music festival.  The festival has all kind of music and entertainment acts that include bands and artist in the genres of Rock, Hip-Hop, Pop, Jazz, Blues, Country, Folk, Indie Pop, electronic, gospel, reggae, and even comedians performing stand-up. So, who are my top picks to convince me to drive over 10 hours to Tennessee for 3 days? Lets just name 5 entertainers I am dying to see shall we?


 1. Mumford & Sons
 
Yes, I am on the Mumford & Sons bandwagon. I just don’t like Mumford, I absolutely love them. They are the first folk band I have ever liked. Call it the mixing of catchy instrumentals and lyrics, or the natural musical talent of each member of the band, but I have been dying to see Mumford. Sigh No More, while not perfect, was an incredible surprise to me when I listened to it in 2010. The band only kept it up with Babel last year, which I do think justifiably won best album at the Grammy’s. Also, the fact that apparently in live shows, the band members switch instruments each song and know how to play all of them, is something I want to see. 


2. Wu-Tang Clan
I have to do this Dave Chappell reference...WU-TANG! Alright, with that out of the way, I love the Wu-Tang. Any rap from the 90’s I am a huge fan of. The thought of being able to see the legendary Wu-Tang Clan perform is something that is worth the high price admission to me. All I hope is that they play C.R.E.A.M. and show the young rappers who rap about meaningless crap a thing or two.

 3. Daniel Tosh
Wait? Daniel Tosh isn’t music? Yeah, I know, but I love Tosh too much as a comedian to pass up the chance to see him. His I don’t give a damn who I offend style is brave, and hilarious in my opinion. Sometimes it does cross the line, but I think the comedian will be a blast to see as a bit of a break from 3 days of music.

4. Nas
I already said I love 90’s rap, but Nas is one of those 90’s rappers who has constantly made new music ever since he started back in 1991. Not only that, but there isn’t a bad album in the Nas catalog. He’s one of the only rappers today who sticks to the idea of rap being a form of meaningful poetry and expression. I don’t want to see a rapper who raps about partying and getting action. I want to see a rapper who actually stands for something.

 
5. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
As you readers know, I loved Macklemore & Ryan Lewis’s major label debut The Heist. It was an album that was a surprise for me in how honest and bold it was with its lyricism and production. I can’t wait to see these guys. If I get to at Bonaroo, I hope to god they get a little instrumental and creative and play “Bombom”.


Well there it is folks. 5 bands I am going to be in the crowd for at Bonaroo this year if I head down. As for the rest of the artist, they are all amazing talent that deserve some listeners. Head to the bottom of the page for a link to the full line-up for this years festival. Now if you excuse me, it's time to listen to these 5 artist above to start getting pumped. I don't even care the festival is about 4 months away.

http://lineup.bonnaroo.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment