Thursday, August 1, 2013

Barenaked Ladies - Grinning Streak

These guys look like they're getting ol....F%*k I'm getting old...
 
So, after a long hiatus it’s time to tell you guys about my favorite album I listened too when I wasn’t posting weekly. Let me give you guys a little background first before you start scratching your heads. Barenaked Ladies is one of the first bands I ever got into. I can’t tell you guys how many times I’ve listened to Stunt and Maroon in my life. When vocalist and song writer Steven Page left in 2009, I was really scared how the band would continue . Page’s snarky and humorous lyricism was something that I always loved about the band, something that made them stand out from the crowd in my mind. 2010s All In Good Time kind of quenched my fears. It was good, but the humorous lyricism was toned down, and the album was a little too long for my liking. Grinning Streak manages to take everything wrong with All In Good Time and bring Barenaked Ladies back to the qualities that made them so lovable in the first place. The humor is back, but the band does an excellent job of still featuring that there is progression from their Stunt young days.

The first thing that stands out about Grinning Streak is the lyricism and song content. BNL does a fantastic job at balancing humor and seriousness (sometimes even in the same song) with the songs on the album. A song like “Did I Say That Out Loud” is a great, adult love song that has some great lines in it that will get a good laugh out of you. The band also showcase progression that was hinted at with All In Good Time with more adult topics within songs. Songs like “Off His Head” that deals with the stress of parenthood, and “Keepin’ It Real” which looks at how to deal with haters, and bullies internally, show that the band is willing to look at much more adult subject material like they did in All In Good Time.

I also give the band major credit for stretching out their instrumentals to make each song unique. “Boomerang”, and “Odds Are” are great adult pop rock songs, “Off His Head”, and “Did I Say That Out Loud” are great acoustic rock songs, and “Smile” is close to country, but damn infectious with how catchy it is.

The final verdict:  While not every song works on Grinning Streak, it’s still a very welcome return to form from BNL. The album tells listeners that the band has now found its stride in balancing humor and heartfelt seriousness. The band has also finally shown that they are confident that they can carry on without Page at the helm. Grinning Streak is a happy, welcome surprise in my book from one of my favorite bands. Here’s to many more years of one of the best adult rock bands delivering good songs that make me think, and laugh

FINAL GRADE:  A-

CHOICE CUT:  “Off His Head”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hln6OiumEM

Btw...if you see me listening to this album...this is usually how I look...have a good week readers

No comments:

Post a Comment