Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bad Rabbits - American Love
Time to get....FUNKY

May seems to be kicking off as the month of summer movies, sunny days, and for music, bringing back the funk and soul. After Random Access Memories last week, I thought I wouldn’t have a soulful or funk release for quite a bit. But fear not, because one of my most anticipated albums came to the rescue this week! Bad Rabbits with their major label debut, American Love.

Bad Rabbits have been on my radar since 2009 and the release of their second EP Stick Up Kids. The EP was the perfect mix of awesome funk and soul rock, mixed with subtle touches of punk influences. It still to this day is one of my most favorite EP’s of all time. So 4 years go by, and finally, fans get word that Bad Rabbits is finally recording their first full length album. I got excited as F$%K and nobody else really knows who the hell they are (and I understand that people probably still don’t). Let’s see if I can change your minds though and persuade you to pick up American Love.

American Love starts off with the lead single “We Can Roll”, a song that will get you dancing quickly once it gets into the swing of the beat. It’s infectiously fun funk that the band master perfectly. The lyricism lets you know quickly that this band is confident, and ready to get you dancing and having a fun time. Bad Rabbits lyricism isn’t about being deep, it’s about what most soul and funk is about, being sexy and having a damn fun time. Songs like “Can’t Fool Me”, “Take It Off”, and “Doin’ It” features Bad Rabbits at it’s finest having confident lyrics that are sexy and fun at the same time. While most pop today is just generic and stupid with its sexy lyrics, Bad Rabbits use such a great sense of imagery to paint a better picture than most pop artist can.

The one problem I have with American Love is that the album does lose it’s fun at the end. It’s not that the songs aren’t funk songs, it’s just the lyricism and musicianship they lack the fun energy the rest of the album has. It does hurt my rating on the album quite a bit, but the rest of the album still has a lot of energy.

The final verdict:  Like I said before, May seems to be the month of soul and funk, and I’m loving it! American Love brings the funk back in a time where it’s awesome to have it back. I can’t wait to see what Bad Rabbits does next as almost every song they craft gets your booty moving quickly to a funky beat. Watch out, because these guys could get very big, very quick.

FINAL GRADE:  B+

CHOICE CUT:  “Doin’ It”

No comments:

Post a Comment