Thursday, March 28, 2013

 Conditions - Full Of War

Oh...no joke this week...BUY THIS! PLEASE

It’s rare that an album comes out that truly changes my life. It has only happened three times to me in my life. The most recent one was in 2010, a band called Conditions released Fluorescent Youth. The album was one of the most well structured, and poignant albums I had heard in years. It was like the thoughts I wanted to say but were too scared to about society were talked about in every song. It was a perfect album in my opinion. One that made me realize that bands were still around to deliver great music with amazing, meaningful lyricism. Now, its three years later, and that band has finally delivered a follow up, Full Of War. My expectations were exceptionally high, and I was pumped that I would get another fantastic album. I’m glad to say that, while it’s not as exceptional in my opinion as Fluorescent Youth, Full Of War is a solid rock album that keeps me wondering why the hell this band hasn’t become big yet.

Here is why Conditions is my favorite band in music today. The lyricism the band emotes in every song is some of the most impressive work I have ever heard. They can take a bold topic no one wants to talk about, and totally make it work in a fantastic song. Take the strong “Descent Of Man”, which is a great song about what do you do if you know a guy who is taking advantage of someone he shouldn’t. The song raises questions about the state chivalry is in today, and what do you do if you are in this situation. Someone you know, doing such a terrible thing as taking advantage of someone. It’s questions like these Conditions aren’t afraid to tackle with their songs. It makes them brave, bold, fierce, and refreshing to listen to.

I’ll be honest with you guys...the song “Wonderful Lie” is an early front runner for song of the year to me. The song deals with the fear of growing up, and what happens to that confidence and happiness you had as a kid. It was so touching, and eye opening to me that it actually brought a tear to my eye thinking about MY own childhood. It made me think about how I used to be this super confident, happy kid who wasn’t afraid of anything. It made me think about how I am now, a guy who is super afraid of my future sometimes and it messes with his confidence. The song really made me contemplate my life, and it is now my anthem into trying to think more positive, like I did when I was a little kid.

It might seem like I’m gushing about this album, but I did have a bit of a problem with it. The first couple of songs, I was really frightened that I was going to be disappointed. The first two songs (“Walking Separate Ways”, “Skeleton”) are solid, but the next two (“Love Elusive”, “Best Mistake”) were kind of disappointing in how simple they were. The lyricism was good, but not amazing like the first album. Then “Love Elusive” started, and the album kicked it into high gear and never let up. It’s rare that the back half of the album is the stronger one to me, but once again Conditions make me drop my jaw in amazement.

The final verdict:  To the members of Conditions, singer Brandon Roundtree, guitarist Alex Howard, drummer Ryan Tinsley, and bassist Corey Thomas, you guys are truly my heroes. You make the music I wish I could make every day. Catchy, fun, and meaningful. Each song you make always has great lyricism that will make me think, and wonder why there aren’t more bands like you. While I didn’t enjoy Full Of War as much as Fluorescent Youth, it still is an amazing album that deserves you guys so much attention. So hopefully my review can give you guys some new fans, because you definitely deserve them. If you like rock or alternative bands, you are doing yourself a disservice to not at least check out Full Of War. The songs will make you dance, and think at the same time, which is never a bad thing!

FINAL GRADE:  B+

CHOICE CUT:  “Wonderful Lie”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy4y01fFvd0

UPDATE:  So for everyone who is keeping up with this blog, my main post of the week will come on Thursday nights for the time being. If you want to know when new reviews, or post are coming, head over and like my Facebook page for updates! Thank you for your time!
https://www.facebook.com/TheMusicBasement

No comments:

Post a Comment